Tuesday, 5 September 2017

July & August's Reading

This month's catch up is a bumper edition, covering July and August.

I'm trying to come up with a witty excuse for not blogging as much at the moment but it's simply that I'm trying to juggle several things at the moment. I'm currently painting each room and I'm not the world's fastest DIYer. I'm also trying to do a few craft projects as I want to have some homemade pictures up on my walls.

I've been reading too but the writing has definitely fallen off the radar. I've finished the redrafting of my novel, and have started to research agents and also sending out to few too! I've already had two rejections but I really do believe there's an agent out there who would be the perfect fit for my novel.

Here are the books I've read over the summer:

Various Pets Alive and Dead - Marina Lewycka
Serge grew up on a commune but shunned its values and lifestyle to work in the banking section in the city. However, his previous life has started to catch up with him. Sometimes you need a book full of dysfunctional families and this book will deliver on this! this is a witty and wise novel.

Little Black Book - Otegha Uwagba
This small book has really big ideas about being a woman, having a career, trying to achieve your dreams. This book is amazing. This book has already motivated me to re-think my finances, getting better deal with my mortgage, using my time to do the things I want to do. Buy this book, read it and then buy it for all of your friends.
This is a novel full of laughter, fashion, hissy fits and ambition. If you like Devil Wears Prada, Bridget Jones or even Ugly Betty then you will love this book. You can read my review here.

Yesterday - Felicia Yap
If you're looking for a book with twists and turns then this is the book for you. This is a novel about memory, lies and deceit. What if you are the unreliable narrator of your own life? You can read my review here.


Whispers Underground - Ben Aaronovitch
This is the third novel in the Peter Grant series, a supernatural crime series. There's something horrible happening in the tunnels under London and Peter has been called in to work alongside the police to find out the cause of all of these mysterious happenings. This is an entertaining read full of witty characters that make you want to read the next book in the series as soon as possible.

The Easy Way Out - Steven Amsterdam
This is a interesting read looking at end of life care. Evan is a suicide assistant, a legal job, where he provides support and care needed for someone ready to die. This book is full of compassion, sad with dashes of dark humour. Look out for my review soon.

Bleaker House - Nell Stevens
Nell Stevens has been given a writing grant to spend three months to write a novel in a location of her choice. She picks Bleaker Island, Falklands. But this book is not that novel. Instead this is a book about a woman realizing a novel doesn’t lie in total solitude and a clear plan. Nell wants to teach herself the art of loneliness and then she’ll know if she is a proper author. This is a great book, full of great details and funny insights.

True Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop - Annie Darling
I really needed a sweet book with the ability to give you a hug and this book did just this which was needed when I went on my first ever spa day. Verity Love works in a bookshop, is obsessed with Jane Austen and also has a fake boyfriend. Yet, her fake boyfriend doesn't seem to behaving and their promise not to fall in love seems to have cracks appearing in this guarantee to each other.

No comments: